Monthly Archives: January 2015
I was trying to order from Pizzahut.com.bn, tried and technically succeeded. I saw there was a golden crust offer buy 1 free 1, so I wanted to order. But this is the first time I tried ordering anything, so I had to register online. After I registered I continued with my order for delivery, Somehow the address I entered was invalid and pop-up said contact 2226111, so I did, and I asked, and they said the buy 1 free 1 offer is only valid for pick up. no biggie, my office is just 5 minutes walk from pizza hut airport mall. So… I went online again, this time went for pickup, but alas… the pickups were only from the PHD branches, the Pizza hut delivery branches. So I called again, apparently if I wanted to order from pizza hut at airport mall, I need to call their direct line… but then I realized… the buy 1 free 1 offer was online, if i called up, they might not have that offer (might, I did not confirm), plus I really wanted to try ordering online. also I already invested in spending time on this website and registering. so I decided to just order pickup from kiulap, it is on the way back to work later. additionally, friday they say they are closed from 12pm-2pm, so put up that I will pick up at 2:01pm (I forgot to mention, they have advance delivery/pickup). Let us see if they have my order by that time or I have to wait longer… my guess they could probably cook it earlier and just keep it warm till that time, we’ll see…
I arrived 2:01pm, the door was opened but I saw only one guy in the kitchen. he came out and apologize that I may have to wait 10 minutes for the pizza to warm up. I got my pizza and left at 2:15pm. Pizza hut brunei website should probably update the pick up availability in the afternoon to 2:15pm. either that or the workers should have been there 1:45pm on a friday.
I recently learnt that the author of the hobbit was a survivor of world war I. and that his writings were inspired from his experience as well as his upbringing and academic interests. knowing this, I watched the movie with a different perspective. Rather than just taking awe in the scenery, the fights and the characters. I viewed it as a story told by a war veteran. The hobbit and lord of the rings shared a common story.
Generally, the story started with a young man who is by all accounts innocent, was thrusted into the world of war through promises of adventure and a sense of purpose. There he bonds with his buddies/compadres/friends of different backgrounds and different races. Experiences the action and the casualties of war. At the end, by chance or by luck he survives, but he suffers from loss of for ends and the trauma of war. A changed man.
Watching the movie I was saddened to see the reality of war. It is either the result of a mad dictator realizing their visions come true by oppressing other people (Sauron, Hitler) , or by people with good intentions but misunderstands and mistrusts each other, especially with a belief of scarce resources (elves vs dwarves / Israel vs Palestine ).
Even sad, was in all this war, there is a side that does nothing… us (and USA in world war I). Seating in our chairs, comfortable. Obsessed with our own desires, believing that the war has nothing to do with us, that it won’t reach us, or at the least we cannot do anything in our place.
This feeling is unsettling. As it probably should. Leaves me with thoughts, such as what does it take? And what can I do in my own small way? To achieve world peace!? To share this insight, to tell friends, to inspire others. That we can live in this world in peace. To help people understand each other, to trust each other.
Or will there be a need for a bigger villain? that would unite the world together. But if we don’t get together soon, the smarter villain need not interfere, for we might just destroy ourselves soon. But here is the scary part, if we don’t go to war with ourselves, then the villain will need to either pool their resources together more, or incite war within us anyway to ease their job.
Overall a very inspiring movie. Tolkien may have used stories to share his truth about the bleakness war, on it’s causes and effects. And its consequences to the individual that survives the war. Thank you film makers for realizing his vision, and inspiring the world with stories.
“artists uses lies to tell the truth” – v for vendetta.
when i came back home yesterday from a hike my wife had been stung on her right toe. my original plan now spoiled (sorry guys i couldn’t make it to breakfast), I needed to tend to her. she was in pain. a previous first aid training was helpful (thanks dina).
First ascertain that she wasn’t having a severe allergic reaction and having difficulty of breathing, then checked the the wound for any stings left. Apparently it wasn’t a bee, or else there would be a sting left. So it was either a a wasp, or a hornet but they could have stung her more than once, could have been a bite rather than a sting. My wife identified it as a big black bee with a dark orange ring on it’s abdomen. Sounded like a bumble bee. But do we have those in Brunei?
So nothing to pull out I cleaned the wound. There was a drop of dried blood. And then placed the feet in ice cold water.
I periodically asked how she felt to make sure she wasn’t getting worst. Also tried to YouTube a few funny videos to make her laugh and distract from the pain. I also was trying to identify the insect online as well as get more info on treatment.
My wife was upset not just at the bee for the pain, but it was ruining her plans to go out that day. But after the pain subsided, though her feet started too swell lightly, she decided that no bee is going to spoil her day. And we went to the mall to have our late lunch/ early dinner, then look around and then watched a movie. It was one of the slowest walks I have taken in years. Her feet swelled more with rest during the movie, so she decided to walk around some more at yayasan, where we met her sister and family (they heard about the incident and didn’t tell my wife so she wouldn’t go out to join them, but we coincidentally did any way) Before she slept she put on some cream on her legs and wore socks for compression.
I downloaded web MD for Android and found a few pointers.
Didn’t try the interval cooling. Tried the raising of the leg but she felt it got worst. Interestingly, both my wife and I dislike going to the hospital, so we don’t go there unless absolutely necessary. And we try not to take any medicine. Just food and supplements please. We took vitamin c supplements and ate pineapple for the swelling, and drank cold water to help flush the toxin from her system. We will see this morning when she wakes up if she feels better or do we need to go to doctor.
Previous years it has been a habit for me to join in the procession. But I honestly don’t remember my dad bringing me. So I have been trying to dig up my memories on how it started. But while I do that I would like to share on changes I have noticed. Other than the reduction of the distance. As previously the route involved passing through the road between SMJA and SOASC. but this year it was shortened by turning around before SOASC.
This year around I decided to fallback and watch all the contingents exit the Padang SOAS before I joined the walk. It might have been the reduced distance or it has always been, but His majesty arrived just after everyone left.
So back to what differences before and now.
1. The banners are now mostly digital prints having pictures and text rather than just text by screen printing. I guess technology advanced made a difference here. I would personally would like to see the meaning of text larger so I could read it. i am guessing in the future we might just us LEDs with animated slides of multiple ayat rather than just a single one.
2. The crowd was not as large as it used to be. My guess it is due to the long school holiday. Also… One time I remembered women were allowed to join the procession, but for the last decade they have only been reserved to stay at the padang. but now i didn’t see many attending.
3. A lot more people handing out drinks to the walkers. (processioners? ) some rubbish bins were prepared, but it was inadequate. Bottles were still lying around. Fortunately the city cleaners were working overtime that day. Good job guys. Passed by the route in the afternoon didn’t see any leftovers. Might need to remind the walkers to keep the city clean. It is either they throw it properly, or they bring the bottles unroll they can find a proper disposal.
4. The procession was more orderly, but it is either because of the small numbers or I didn’t rush along this time around to catch up with his majesty.
5. There were no “lepaking” at yayasan. Either because I came in later, or there weren’t many youths, or simply most people nowadays are in a hurry to go back home where they are more comfortable or some where more happening, rather then hangout at a now relatively desolate bandar.
This time around it was relaxed for me. Next one I plan to chase his majesty, and then go around a second time.
What I find worth it to pay for endomondo premium is I can look at my statistics. At the end of the year I am looking at:
- Total Workouts (How many times I have exercised)
- Total Distance (How far)
- Average Speed
I have spent most of the year running. I trained a lot in the beginning of the year, due to signing up for putrajaya half ironman. unfortunately, I think I did not record most of my swim training (it is not automatic), either that, or I think I was really focused on improving my run and my cycle. my cycling dropped as soon as I finished my ironman. but I picked up again 3 months later. at the end of the year, I started to cycle to work, and I ran before my swimming classes at night. which increased my frequency. But it may have not improved my performance. So let us look at…
Even though I didn’t do as much cycling than running. I cycled further than I did running (i cover more distance in the same amount of time in running). Building up the distance was important for me in the ironman. But did I spent more time in cycling than running?
apparently I did not spend more time cycling than running. I thought I did. But looking back at my slowest pace I was running 21km just under 3 hours. and I was usually cycling 40 km in 2hours. So at this point it seemed at the end of the year, I had more workouts but I spent less time and went less distance. So I wanted to look at…
I removed swimming due to some funny data I need to look into, also didn’t submit my record much. Unfortunalely it seemed that my average pace was only better in the beginning of the year. So it seems for me that Duration and Distance is a key to improving my average pace. But I have to admit that in the end of the year, even though I have increased frequency, yet lowered by distance and time, I rarely pushed my self. According to interval training, I should see some improvements. But I really dislike pushing myself so much in intervals. So I might just stick to increasing my distance/time. But if I don’t have the time, I might just need to push myself during those short workouts.
I would like to end this post by highlighting my personal bests in terms of distance/speed/time of 2014:
- Running 5km – 24:46 in June
- Running 10km – 58:23 in July (night runs)
- Running 21km – 2:19:43 in June
- Cycling – 28:84 during the half ironman.
Things to do in 2015
- increase my speed and buy an expensive bike – looking at graph my speed for cycling at the end of year is not much different from beginning of year. despite less distance. I am considering to purchase an expensive bike just to get that 10% improvement. But I am listening to an advice by a cyclist (thanks fabian) that I am going to stick with my current cheap bike until I reach my target of 30km/hr for within 30km or 1 hour, before I buy those expensive bike.(I might just look for second hands that cost under 1k).I might need to join a few cycling competitions or events (gasp) just to get more feel of their pace …. 😐
- I gotta do a full marathon in 2015 before I even do a full ironman. (I feel confident I can do it again though). I probably need to do it overseas. not much if any in brunei.2014 had only once.
- Do a full Ironman. Need to increase my ability to cycle from currently 100km to 180km.
- Lose Fat weight – currently 95kg. at least down to 85kg. but according to a height of 179cm. I should weigh at most 79kg. but 85 is good enough for me for now. I might need to drink less during runs, and might be easier for my to cycle uphill.
I need to come up with a plan… I think I will update more on these targets on my cycling and running categories post.
Here’s to a healthy, fit and fast 2015. Happy New Year!