Author Archives: bobbyofbrunei
I was thinking about buying those bluetooth speakers with an audio output to connect my car’s auxillary input.
Found this instead, a Bluetooth receiver, still requires aux, and the receiver occasionally requires recharging, but it beats the mess of an auxillary cable.
An interesting movie with interesting unexpected plot twists. In a time when some movies have become predictable. This breaks the mold by playing us along on those expectations and twists it around.
The trailer and synopsis gives you a hint on those predictable story lines. But the movie reveals that it is more twisted then we could ever imagine.
Michael Pena breaks his stereotype in this movie and performs very well.
Check out “Extinction” on Netflix
My grandmother on my mother side passed away today. According to my mom she died at the age of 90 years. My grandmother wasn’t a Muslim, so the customs and traditions are different to what I am used to, my grandfather died about 10 years ago, I have a vague memory of the rituals. What I do remember that was interesting was he was buried in his best clothes and his belongings and a few items were buried with him.
My grandmother’s body will be kept at her home a few days before being buried. Giving a chance for relatives from afar to visit her. As we arrived my mother sat beside her mother’s body and cried. In islamic and malay culture it is generally not acceptable to wail aloud for the dead nor shed tears, but in this culture it was allowed.
My stepfather tried to calm her down, while my aunts comforted her. Interestingly I had a glimpse of what it would be like if it was my mother that died and I was the one on the side. My only regret was we haven’t visited my grandmother as frequent as I would like, and even as last week we heard the news she was sick, my sisters and I couldn’t find the time to visit her in Limbang. I was actually thinking this saturday was the only time I could, unfortunately today was the day that she had passed.
I couldn’t understand the dialect that my aunts and uncles spoke, but as they explained, the body will be buried tomorrow afternoon at around 2pm. I can’t help but to think how I can fit in my grandmother’s burial with attending a few planned open houses tomorrow.
I was not that close to my grandmother, but thinking of her I do feel a sense of love and respect, and knowing that it felt like it should be enough, but it didn’t. I wasn’t sure if she felt that she was loved and cared for at the end of her life. Most of her kids had migrated from Limbang to Brunei and only visited her occasionally. Sometimes bringing goods, if she asked for money they would give her, she even asked me a few times and I gave what I could, she would appreciate it when she was gifted with a carton of cigarettes as well.
My grandmother was a heavy smoker, despite that, she lived a long life of 90 years. If genetics played a part in that, I would be very fortunate if I was to grow as old as she did, unfortunately on my fathers side, he had lung cancer from just being a passive smoker. So my chances are 50:50 on that one, a chance I won’t take to become a smoker.
As I drove back home, I was pondering on what legacy I would like to leave, on how I would like to live before I die. How I would like to be treated. I think it is important to visit those who are dying and the dead, to remind us ourselves that we won’t live forever, and to remind us what we want to do in this life right now.
As sad as I was seeing my grandmother dead, I was a lot more sad seeing how sad my mother was at her mother’s death. I think it was 2 main factors, 1. Was that she hadn’t visit as frequent as she liked recently, and 2. My mother hasn’t been able to speak to my grandmother in the last 8 years since my mother had a stroke that had impaired her ability to speak.
It seems that I care less on my conditions of death, but I care more on conditions of my life and relationships. I think we should treat each other as if not just everyday was our own last day, but as if it is the other person’s last day as well. As if it the last day for everyone, treat each other kindly while we can.
Sometimes I get frustrated seeing the two extremes… One one side is where people are careless and clicking on fake vouchers, on the other hand people can be fear mongering stopping you from clicking anything in your whatsapp. Case in point, this was shared a few times before, but it has recently has been shared again but this time with a supposedly valid link.
If you know anyone using WhatsApp you might pass on this. An IT colleague has advised that a video comes out tomorrow from WhatsApp called martinelli do not open it , it hacks your phone and nothing will fix it. Spread the word.
If you receive a message to update the Whatsapp to Whatsapp Gold, do not click !!!!!
Now said on the news this virus is difficult and severe
- The link provided works, but if you were to read there was no mention of the martinelli virus or whatsapp gold.
- A quick google search you can find that the martinelli threat is fake, while the whatsapp gold threat is real. As shown in the following link. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/whatsapp-message-martinelli-video-security-how-safe-gold-facebook-latest-a8309091.html
I find it interesting that they shared a fake news with a valid news. I suspect that the perpetrators are lulling people into a fake sense of security by making people confused on what threats are real or not. E.g. martinelli is fake, so whatsapp gold threat must be fake too…
But the link is a nice touch, it makes people think it is a valid news, when its not. But if the copy paster read the news and thought about it, and even researched it themselves, they wouldn’t shared in the first place.
Its a nice thought though. People shared because they got scared and cared, I just wish they double checked before they shared.
I know its comparing animals but tempted to think these life extending factors can apply to human lifespan.
- frigid cold environments causes lower heartbeat and metabolism, can be achieved by living in cold places and doing not too much activities. Not sure if I am willing to move and live in a colder environment. Although I do love swimming relaxed in the cold water like a whale.
- As much low activities may be low heartbeat and low metabolism. Studies have shown that people who exercise tend to get lower resting heart rates than those who are sedentary. High intensity exercises may increase metabolism. I guess I can focus on long slow endurance when I do swimming, cycling and running.
- Fasting does lower metabolism. I don’t eat as frequent anymore. Fasting during the month of ramadhan may help once a year, but I practice intermittent and water fasting more often on other months throughout the year as well. Although I may lose weight on this and negate the size factor later…
- Evolution and Genetics, these is unfortunately the luck of the draw, interestingly, there are genetic therapies being developed, potentially we can identify the genes that are responsible for ageing and extend our life by altering them. Lets see if this happens in our life time.
- healthy immune system, these is also partly genetic, but also on how well we avoid getting sick and in addition recover from them. Medicine has come a long way in assisting us to these very well. Let’s just hope the germs don’t win the biological war against us.
- bigger size, partly genetic, partly nutrition. The bigger the organism the less predator they have, in addition, metabolism can be lower as the body does not need to produce heat too much to maintain body temperature. May also allow bigger animals to eat less per body weight, which lowers the metabolism again. Although my fasting might reduce my weight and thus reduce the size effect.