Category Archives: Brunei
I know a few people complain about cyclists on the road. And I keep on reminding them that the road is to be shared by everyone, including the cyclists. Especially since some bikes are named as “Roadbikes”.
Included here is a pdf from the AGC on the road rules concerning Roadbikes.
- Towing not permitted.
- Restriction on number of persons carried.
- Riders to give signals. (slowing down palm face down up and down, turn to indicate with the relevant hand with palm facing front)
- Signals to be made in sufficient time.
- Travelling abreast prohibited. (generally right of cars, right of pedestrians and other cyclists is allowed)
- Bicycle to be ridden on the left side of road. (this kinda proves bikes are allowed)
- Load on bicycle. (no extra load then is designed)
- Bicycle to be ridden in orderly manner.
- Lights to be carried by bicycles during darkness. Restrictions on nature of lights. (white light in front, red light at the back)
- Wearing of protective helmets. (shall wear, but the rule after that makes it sound like a must…)
some of the rules are also embedded into the road traffic rules that applies to all road users in http://www.agc.gov.bn/AGC%20Images/LOB/PDF/Cap68subRg1(2.8.07).pdf
I was observing the Moon Eclipse tonight (4 april 2015, 8pm brunei time), from a place that had a few crowds hanging out and walking by, I looked around and it seemed most people were unaware of what was happening. not looking to the sky. The last time I saw the moon eclipse was a few years ago in KK in December 2011. It was a similar environment. Something incredible was happening. Our shadow, earth with us on it, was blocking the sun’s direct light from reaching the moon, at ironically the position that can also be the fullest and the brightest for the moon. If we wand yet not a lot were appreciating it.
The last time I saw it I felt the same awe that I feel now. It was around the time I made the pivotal decision to change my health and fitness. I was 110kg then, I went as far as 90kg last year (now I’m up a bit to 95kg, but I’ll work on it again) and able to do a half ironman where I swam 1.9km, cycled 90km, ran 21km. There are things happening around us, opportunity is abound. and yet most of us are not open to it. Like the uncommon moon eclipse (moon eclipses are more common than sun eclipses). Life opportunities are quite common. Great opportunities come once in a while. Only a few of were aware of it. Few of use will take the time to find about it, and then take the time to make it to appreciate it.
For me the awe is still there. Understanding of how a full moon eclipse happens. How small we are compared to the earth, moon and sun… to the universe. and yet how important we can be to each other, near and far. How one event can be observed and affected by millions of individuals. How each one of us can take the opportunity to make something happen in our lives. To catch that moment. Reminds me of my understanding of the islamic concept of fate – qada’ and qadar. There are events that are fixed in the universe, and then there are events that man has the choice and ability affect. The full moon is a preset event, while the human ability to predict it, to observe it is a choice. Life opportunities are less likely to be predicted, but they can be anticipated, and we can prepare ourselves for that event. We don’t have to just allow events to past us by, we can observe it, we can study it, or we can appreciate it, in some cases. We can create it or create something with it.
This time my pivotal change is more on contribution and financial gains. I have gone far from the last moon eclipse, from losing weight to being able to do a half ironman. I look forward to see the next full moon and look back to my life from the this full moon eclipse. Everything is already set into motion, I would like to be prepared, be there when an opportunity happens. Once in a Blue Moon? How about Once in the eclipse of a full moon?
Heheh, funny how I feel more awe about a moon eclipse than the earth’s revolution around the sun. The Universe is Unimaginably Vast, The Creator truly is Great 🙂
Closing thoughts, If we on earth is experiencing a moon eclipse, the moon is experiencing an earth eclipse. Think about it.
I was trying to order from Pizzahut.com.bn, tried and technically succeeded. I saw there was a golden crust offer buy 1 free 1, so I wanted to order. But this is the first time I tried ordering anything, so I had to register online. After I registered I continued with my order for delivery, Somehow the address I entered was invalid and pop-up said contact 2226111, so I did, and I asked, and they said the buy 1 free 1 offer is only valid for pick up. no biggie, my office is just 5 minutes walk from pizza hut airport mall. So… I went online again, this time went for pickup, but alas… the pickups were only from the PHD branches, the Pizza hut delivery branches. So I called again, apparently if I wanted to order from pizza hut at airport mall, I need to call their direct line… but then I realized… the buy 1 free 1 offer was online, if i called up, they might not have that offer (might, I did not confirm), plus I really wanted to try ordering online. also I already invested in spending time on this website and registering. so I decided to just order pickup from kiulap, it is on the way back to work later. additionally, friday they say they are closed from 12pm-2pm, so put up that I will pick up at 2:01pm (I forgot to mention, they have advance delivery/pickup). Let us see if they have my order by that time or I have to wait longer… my guess they could probably cook it earlier and just keep it warm till that time, we’ll see…
I arrived 2:01pm, the door was opened but I saw only one guy in the kitchen. he came out and apologize that I may have to wait 10 minutes for the pizza to warm up. I got my pizza and left at 2:15pm. Pizza hut brunei website should probably update the pick up availability in the afternoon to 2:15pm. either that or the workers should have been there 1:45pm on a friday.
What I find worth it to pay for endomondo premium is I can look at my statistics. At the end of the year I am looking at:
- Total Workouts (How many times I have exercised)
- Total Distance (How far)
- Average Speed
I have spent most of the year running. I trained a lot in the beginning of the year, due to signing up for putrajaya half ironman. unfortunately, I think I did not record most of my swim training (it is not automatic), either that, or I think I was really focused on improving my run and my cycle. my cycling dropped as soon as I finished my ironman. but I picked up again 3 months later. at the end of the year, I started to cycle to work, and I ran before my swimming classes at night. which increased my frequency. But it may have not improved my performance. So let us look at…
Even though I didn’t do as much cycling than running. I cycled further than I did running (i cover more distance in the same amount of time in running). Building up the distance was important for me in the ironman. But did I spent more time in cycling than running?
apparently I did not spend more time cycling than running. I thought I did. But looking back at my slowest pace I was running 21km just under 3 hours. and I was usually cycling 40 km in 2hours. So at this point it seemed at the end of the year, I had more workouts but I spent less time and went less distance. So I wanted to look at…
I removed swimming due to some funny data I need to look into, also didn’t submit my record much. Unfortunalely it seemed that my average pace was only better in the beginning of the year. So it seems for me that Duration and Distance is a key to improving my average pace. But I have to admit that in the end of the year, even though I have increased frequency, yet lowered by distance and time, I rarely pushed my self. According to interval training, I should see some improvements. But I really dislike pushing myself so much in intervals. So I might just stick to increasing my distance/time. But if I don’t have the time, I might just need to push myself during those short workouts.
I would like to end this post by highlighting my personal bests in terms of distance/speed/time of 2014:
- Running 5km – 24:46 in June
- Running 10km – 58:23 in July (night runs)
- Running 21km – 2:19:43 in June
- Cycling – 28:84 during the half ironman.
Things to do in 2015
- increase my speed and buy an expensive bike – looking at graph my speed for cycling at the end of year is not much different from beginning of year. despite less distance. I am considering to purchase an expensive bike just to get that 10% improvement. But I am listening to an advice by a cyclist (thanks fabian) that I am going to stick with my current cheap bike until I reach my target of 30km/hr for within 30km or 1 hour, before I buy those expensive bike.(I might just look for second hands that cost under 1k).I might need to join a few cycling competitions or events (gasp) just to get more feel of their pace …. 😐
- I gotta do a full marathon in 2015 before I even do a full ironman. (I feel confident I can do it again though). I probably need to do it overseas. not much if any in brunei.2014 had only once.
- Do a full Ironman. Need to increase my ability to cycle from currently 100km to 180km.
- Lose Fat weight – currently 95kg. at least down to 85kg. but according to a height of 179cm. I should weigh at most 79kg. but 85 is good enough for me for now. I might need to drink less during runs, and might be easier for my to cycle uphill.
I need to come up with a plan… I think I will update more on these targets on my cycling and running categories post.
Here’s to a healthy, fit and fast 2015. Happy New Year!