Category Archives: Self Development
Conducted a Leadership Camp Programme in April 2018, one of the participants was a DJ from pelangi fm, she Interviwed me a week later, and my interview was aired on national radio.
I mostly talked about my job at LiveWIRE Brunei as a Business Counsellor, teaching and helping people starting and running their business. I spent the last half of it talking about me teaching swimming at night.
I find a lot of similarities between coaching someone in business, and coaching someone in swimming.
I was highlighted on the pelangi fm instagram at
View this post on Instagram
Bersama GENERASI 914 – Mohamad Fadhilullah Tudun bin Haji Hassan @bobby Senior Business Counsellor at LiveWIRE Brunei And Swimming instructor at Effortless Swim. Loves money, business, health and fitness, swimming, cycling, running and hiking. Teaches business and entrepreneurship by day, and teaches swimming by night. Spends free time swimming, cycling and running or hiking, sometimes all in one day. 😝 Personal fb and ig at @bobbyofbrunei LiveWIRE fb and ig at @livewirebrunei Effortless Swim fb and ig @effortlessswim Jangan lepaskan peluang untuk mendengarkan GENERASI 914 #generasi914 bermula Februari 2018. Isnin. Selasa. Rabu. Khamis. Sabtu at 1.30 pm dan ulangan 10 pm #world #youthprogram #radio #2018 (17.5.2018) Penerbit : Zura @zura914pfm
I recorded the audio and You can listen to it here.
last night hike finished after 12, arrived home before 1, slept at around 1, my alarm woke me up at 5:45am, so I could arrive to the workplace before 7am. Note that today is not a work day as it is a Sunday, but someone is renting the place, and someone has to be there to open and take care of the place. While I was there I took the opportunity of doing something I have been meaning to do, learn android programming.
I have created a few android apps, but they were all using the service andromo.com to create simple apps. But it has an annual fee of $99. So I have been meaning to learn actual programming, so I can create my apps from scratch. that was 2 years ago. I realized I haven’t done anything since other than purchasing the books, ebooks and online training programmes, but I haven’t peeked into them, until now. So far today I was able to do a simple discount calculator app. It was simple, but I was thinking this in itself can be extended to a loan calculator, BMI calculator, etc. I look forward to learn more, especially to replace my existing Android apps.
After Zuhor I felt my lack of sleep catching up, so I went for a power nap that lasted half an hour. At 3pm I had to leave for home to pick up my wife to bring her along to my swimming class in a hotel in Brunei. My student wasn’t muslim, and he wasn’t fasting, but he was tired none the less. So we focused on relax technique and some breathing exercises.
The break fast, my wife shared that she has been craving ambuyat since last night, so I decided to indulge her. Surprisingly there was some empty tables at the restaurant. We were expecting a lot of people, or even fully booked. My guess is either people are out of cash to splurge already, or that some people are outstationed. Either Kota Kinabalu or Miri. For the meal we ordered to usual ambuyat set, at the end I was surprised to be able to recognize the feeling of fullness. Previously, I could eat the same amount and still feel I could eat more. The fast may have either shrunk my stomache, or have sensitized my sense of fullness. I noticed again how other people ordered a lot, I was happy to see some tables were eaten clean, but dismay to see others that weren’t finished properly. I understand that people tend to order more food than they can actually finish. I guess it is a survival mechanism, better to order more and be full, than order less and be left wanting more.
Weight Update is 88.7kg, I had hoped that my weight of 87kg was the stable one, but it seems my weight is still gaining, looks like the break fast was significantly heavy. or my wife’s juice contains carbs that my body absorbs easily. tempted to try a 7 day juice fast to see effect of the juice fast to my body. 🤔
As we went home, a friend shared there will be a night ride at 9:30pm. My wife and I discussed whether we should join, as she was afraid to be left behind, in the end we decided to, but the weather turned to a heavy rain. It settled down after 10pm. So we didn’t manage to join. Took the opportunity to watch Penny Dreadful on Netflix. I was realizing how these old dark monsters are becoming famous again. I ended up dozing at some point. Turned off my alarm to oversleep the next day, as it was a Public Holiday for Nuzul Quran. I actually woke up after 5am automatically anyway.
Watch “How I hacked an ultramarathon by thinking like an entrepreneur | Phil Sanderson | TEDxBeaconStreet” on YouTube
I have been pondering about something like this for a while.
Actually the reverse, Strategies in successful sports training to be applied to entrepreneurship.
I did my half ironman in 2014, and I was thinking the strategies I applied then could be used in success in business.
In terms of sports these were the strategies
1. A goal – I signed up for a race, saw the cut off times, decided to focus to finish on time. I kinda had an accountability buddy, the guy who got me to sign up. We didn’t train together much, but we did update each other on our training.
2. A plan – knowing about the target, researched what I need to do to achieve it. Reviewed what I already had, and looked at what I need to improve, swimming and running was okay, I needed to increase my cycling speed and distance, and get used to brick training. I.e. Running after cycling.
Created a training schedule I needed to follow.
3. Execution, monitoring and adaptation. Used an android app endomondo to monitor my performance. To see if I am on track. Seeing the improving results gave a positive feedback to continue. Some people can afford to buy the multisport watches like suunto ambit or the garmin 920xt.
4. Show up to the event. And enjoy the results and rewards of the training.
Now I have been think to apply it to business or making money.
1. Set a goal – an amount of money by when.
2. Research and plan – reflect.on what resources I already have, and find out what business I can do, when I need to do it and how.
3. Execute, monitor and adapt – Do it, track the sales, financials. Change if anything needs to.
4. Results and rewards. Enjoy the fruits of your labour.
For now I am still in phase 2, looking into what I have done, and what I can do.
A lot of people tend to give different advises for the same problem. It depends on the individual to try out those solutions. Case in point, my half boiled eggs.
I often brought my attempted boiled egg to office, but the end result was sometimes not really half boiled. My colleagues often advised on their methods.
Here I have a few issues.
1. The solutions in some cases differ in such a way that the result would be different. E.g. 3 mins vs 4 mins boiling vs pour over boiling water. In fact, the perfect solution is highly dependent on several variables , in this case, volume of water, heat source, and current room temperature and pressure. Water can boil at lower temperatures at higher altitudes at lower pressure. Rate of heat transfer is affected by ambient temperature. (I took up chemistry as a major in uni, its funny where I apply these knowledge).
2. The solution provider may not always practice it, but they swear it works. It might work for them, But in truth it might not work for others. As these people often debate amongst each other. A consideration is they might not even boil and eat half boiled eggs often or everyday. (these might be biased due to memories just remembering the time it works).
3. They often project their own reality as universal truths. E.g. The eggs tastes better, in sweet soy sauce, bovril, butter. (I like salty soy sauce thank you). Everyone has a different taste or preference, but that doesn’t stop them from recommending. They would say “it would be more delicious if…” rather than the more accurate “I like it when…”.
You can Google half boiled egg yourself, but i recommend you experiment your own way (almost scientifically). I previously found the perfect way for me, but since I moved house and started to use induction cooker instead of gas, I am experimenting again. The variables, volume of water (more water takes more time to heat up), the heat setting (higher heat faster rate, but not higher boilimg temp), time of day (certain times are often different temperature), the weather, time spent to boil (if u put in the eggs before boiling), time boiling, time egg left in the water after stopped boiling, and number of eggs.
Mine WAS, in the morning, wait till boiling (reducing error result from rate in boiling), then dropped in the eggs for 2-3 minutes, then remove the eggs from boiling and cool in water. (reduces error from additional heat transfer from still boiling water).
My current issue is I am trying out the lazy and quick way with timer setting on the induction cooker set to boiling. I am down to 3 minutes, but i have to watch out for level of water and number off eggs, as it affects the rate of heat transfer. The heat source is consistent, it is the ambient temperature I need to account for. Also the timer is in increments of 1 min. I can’t set for 2 and a half minute.
For the seasoning, that’s your choice.
My points here though, is that there are many solutions to Success, what works for one person may work for another, but then it might not. There are several variables we have to consider, our current status, where we want to be, and the environmental factors involved. And finally, I prefer people to share their truths, rather than project their truths as absolute truths. Saying “in my case, it was…” rather than “The right way is…”.
Good luck and have fun trying.
The following is a point form of my successes in 2013. After listing them out, I managed to categorize them to spiritual, Physical, Intellectual
- Finished reading conversations with God volume 1, 2 and 3 – Despite understanding that it is based on the author’s perception of god, it god me to realize everyone has their own perception, we can only see through our perception, and thus we interpret god as we see, through our limited perception. Pondering on the truth of our knowledge of God.
- Explored Pantheism – the notion that god is everything, and the universe is defined as everything in existence, therefore god is the universe. ended up realizing that god is greater/bigger then the universe, because according to science, the universe may decay, or freeze.
- Deeper understanding and appreciation of god and the universe, noting that we probably can and will only see at best 1% of the universe. the universe has expanded in a way that light coming from other stars will never reach us.
- Watched The movie of Life of Pi – choosing a story of a universe with a God or one that has none.
- re-examining the things that were taught in religious school or by our tradition or culture.
- Understood that the meaning of Allah is literally “The God” from the phrase “la ilaha illa allah”. which means “there is no other god than The God“
- Installed iQuran on my iPad, occassionally reading through translation(s).
- Completed the 5.4km Open swim from Labuan to Pulau Papan and back. without getting sea sick!!!… much… thanks apple xin for the distraction during the swim.
- Picked up cycling again and went for and completed Individual Triathlon (inspired due to 2012 MnY mastermind)
- ABDB Triathlon, thanks to fadilah for reminding me.
- Panaga Triathlon,
- Serawak Triathlon in Miri, (due to weather, swim leg replaced by run instead)
- Ran barefoot for most of the runs that I did (except for SME run)
- National Day Run in Temburong.
- SCB Run – helped train my sister for the 5km run.
- Pusat Ehsan’s The Run
- Business School Charity Run (to be honest I crashed it, I didn’t manage to register and get the shirt)
- Signed up for His Majesty’s run, but did not run due to scheduling, I went to AYPVC cambodia
- Did not run BIBD run due to scheduling. had leadership camp at the same time.
- Self Development – Intellectually, Mentally, Financially, and Creatively
- Moved house.
- closer to work place, feel more independent, more customization due to wife’s feng shui interest.
- Bought a Guitar, finally bought a replacement for my broken guitar by my nephew a year ago. Gonna learn to play contemperorary songs with the guitar again 🙂
- Attended the Millionaire Mind Intensive Seminar,
- got reinspired to get passive business income and attain financial freedom.
- Understood who I was in respect to money and vice versa (I’m a saver)
- learned the 6 jars money management (I’m going to enjoy the play jar)
- Helped create mastermind from the graduates of the seminar.
- Moved house.
- Career and Professional Development
- Got my Advance Communicator Bronze
- Appointed as Vice President of Education
- Organized SME run for the LiveWIRE Brunei SME Promotion.
- from the marketing, registration,shirts, refreshments, and volunteer management.
- Organized LiveWIRE Brunei Business Awards
- from judging process to prize presentation ceremony.
- some problems, some were overcome, others will be handled for next time.
- Organized SME run for the LiveWIRE Brunei SME Promotion.
- Being involved with ASEAN Young Professional Volunteer Corps (AYPVC.
- Delegate to Cambodia in the agriculture,
- Made/met new friends from ASEAN community
- Learnt about agricultural practices,
- helped locals solve their own issues,
- inspired to see and help the rest of the world.
- Committee for AYPVC Seminar in Brunei.
- helped organize and welcomed most delegates at the airport.
- Became tour guide for delegates.
- Made new friends
- learnt about Volunteer Organization Management.
- more ice breaking games.
- involved in the national youth day parade/line up representing AYPVC.
- Delegate to Cambodia in the agriculture,
- Won an iPad – from a scratch card at shopping.com.bn, I am now an iOS convert… nah! more like iOS/android hybrid :p actually lost a waterproof camera in cambodia, but the universe replaced it with an iPad.
- Supported my sister in attending landmark, she admits that it has helped here with coping with life issues a lot better 🙂 yay… she doesn’t need much consulting and consoling anymore 😀
Typing this up kinda reminds me of making a CV. 2013 just gave a worth one page of CV. I should add picture to this post, or links to facebook or other resources, but i’m not gonna bother. simplicity is key. next up is my aims for the year 2014, that one i’m gonna add pictures.